Sunday, June 26, 2005

Rock Star Go Home: By Christine Albrecht

I am going to admit some ol’ favourite singers/albums of mine. I know some of you will groan, but for me, these singers gave me what I needed, at the time I needed it, and I am forever indebted to them. So, in no particular order...

1. Marc Bolan of T-Rex (The Slider)
2. Neil Young (After the Goldrush)
3 David Bowie... everything
4 Lou Reed - (Berlin)
5. Iggy Pop - (Soldier)
6 The Clash - (London Calling)
7. Siousxie & the Banshees (A Kiss in the Dreamhouse)
8. Bauhaus (Press the Eject...)
9. Concrete Blonde (Johnette is the Janis Joplin of our time - brilliant)
10. Kurt Cobain - (Nevermind)
11 Fine Young Cannibals (everything, especially Roland Gift)
21. Sinead O’Connor (The Lion & the Cobra)
12. Placebo (everything)
and (drum roll please ..)
13. Michael K Hutchence (absolutely everything!)

Michael had been much maligned during his career, but I never understood why. I loved his voice, his charisma, his moves, his energy and I even had an ongoing agreement with my loved one that if Michael knocked on my door, my loved one had to leave for the day as I would be ‘busy’. When Michael died, I was devastated. Others didn’t understand my grief; INXS was just a pop group and besides, what a sordid way to go.

Well, I still play his music and wonder... what road was he heading down? Who cannot listen to ‘By My Side’ and not question his inner turmoil? I miss him and consider him irreplaceable.

Then low and behold, reality TV pounced on INXS. Yes, the band probably would like to keep playing, but without Michael... well, who are they?

Anyway, back to the TV show. Starting July 11th, a new show entitled “Rock Star Go Home” will air. The premise behind the show is to ”replace” Michael Hutchence as INXS’ lead singer. I am appalled at the thought, yet I will admit that I will be watching every episode (and probably crying, thinking what the Hell would Michael think?) Hopefully he’s laughing at the lot of us... just so long as he’s laughing...

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

No comments: