Wednesday, August 24, 2005

Oscar

Submitted by Lezah

Image hosted by Photobucket.com
s
I was in the presence of greatness the other night, and it wasn’t just any old ordinary run of the mill greatness – oh no. This was publicly acknowledged greatness that I’m talking about – a rare thing believe you me…

You see, we have made these new acquaintances (could I be so bold as to call them friends? I’m not quite sure yet…). Anyway, I knew that this couple was successful in both the artistic and financial sense of the word, but somehow I had blocked some of that out because they seemed so – I don’t know - normal. Just like you and me.

But I was shocked out of that feeling of normalcy when, at one point in the evening, we went into the home office to hear a song on the his computer. While in there, I was idly glancing around and noticed a few trophies on the mantel. One of the other guests saw the direction of my gaze, leaned over and whispered to me, “It’s real!”

It still didn’t sink in – at least, not immediately. It’s real? I was obviously missing something there. I turned that over in my mind a couple of times; trying to figure it out, when all of a sudden I recognized the statuette’s silhouette. It was an Academy Award. Yes, you heard me: an Academy Award. I was looking at an Oscar.

I can’t imagine what it would feel like to win one. The other awards they had were all noteworthy as well, but the Oscar… Just seeing one in real life was heart stopping.

No comments: