Friday, August 05, 2005

Inundated with Free CDs, and other Ramblings Submitted by Andrew Hoshkiw

Swank Home


Hoshkiw’s Home


In the last three days, I've been given four CDs to review, I have two more sitting on the shelf waiting to be dealt with and I know of another two which'll be coming within a week.

Now that music festival season is over, it seems CD reviews will be the order of the day. It's been years since I've written one though. Maybe I'll go buy a music magazine are see how the pros do it.

Tonight, I'm going to interview a musician for one of them. Tomorrow night, two of them are having a joint CD release party.

There are a few other things to be covered though. This Saturday there's a mangathon, and after that, I might do a feature on a local photographer who's working his way backwards (with film) rather than forward (with digital). He even makes his own developing chemicals.

On Saturday I went to a stick gambling competition, about 50 km west of here in a small First Nations village. It was very interesting.

Basically, stick gambling involves two teams of six who sit on the ground facing each other. One team will have each member hide a small stones in one hand or the other, and the other team must guess which hand it's in.

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

image by www.virtualmuseum.ca

Surrounding them are dozens of deafening drummers and hundreds of raving spectators.

It doesn't sound like much of a sport, but they took it quite seriously. There were 18 teams, with a $300/person entry fee and a grand prize of $10,000.

They were excited to have press coverage, and I was invited to the banquet, where I had moose roast.

Anyhow, it's started to get colder and the stores are now selling school supplies. Several people I know say summer is almost over, but I disagree. When I look at the calendar, it looks like we're not even halfway there. By my reckoning, midsummer's eve is August 5.

Ah well. I'll enjoy it. But then, I'm strange. I'll probably be camping right up until October.

Anyhow, I ought to go do that interview.

No comments: