Friday, August 05, 2005

I've Broken Down... Submitted by Andrew Hoshkiw

Swank Home


Hoshkiw Home


For the last two nights, to deal with the problems of not enough battery power and not having internet at home, I've gone to a local cafe where, for the price of a cup of coffee, I can plug-in and surf their wireless network for free.

It's a good deal, I think, and it may be enough for me to spend an extra month in the cabin before moving to town.

But probably not. It's already getting dark too early for my tastes. The windows in the cabin are small, and at 11:00 p.m. there isn't enough light to read my notepad and write a story.

Mind you, there's still enough light outside, but there are too many bugs for working outdoors to be an option.

I think I'll do it again tonight. Meet a band at the cafe, interview them and then write the story while I'm there.

Actually, tonight there's a fundraiser for a jazz music camp. Maybe I'll go to that.

And then go to the cafe and write the story.

I really would like to get away from arts and write something different, but everything else it seems is covered by the staff reporters. The only thing I can think of that I could do would be sappy human interest features.

I don't like the idea, but it may happen.

Anyhow, my side of the office is either too quiet, or they put on bad 70s "classic" radio. I think classic rock is a farce. The whole idea that everything, once it reaches a certain age, becomes a classic, is ridiculous. Bad music remains bad music, no matter how old it gets. So, to rectify the problem, I went shopping for speakers to play my iPod loudly.

First I went to Superstore. They had 10 watt computer speakers for $49. Nope. Next I went to the store formerly known as Radioshack. Their 10 watt speakers were $69. And then I went to Wal-Mart.

You know, I don't know why I look anywhere else any more. I should just go straight to Wal-Mart from now on. Too bad they don't sell fresh produce and Nikon lenses. Then I'd be able to buy absolutely everything there.

They had a 14 watt speaker system, complete with subwoofer, for $29.

I in fact walked out with the 26 watt system for $48.

At home, I use puny, little 6 watt battery-powered speakers I've had for years. When I do move into town, I think I'll switch the systems and have loud music at home.

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

No comments: