Monday, August 15, 2005

Mike’ Musings - Tiny Lightning

Swank Home

Mike’s Home

So there I am, heating up my hour-old coffee in the microwave before trotting up to work, when I hear an odd 'buzzing' sound.
It wasn't quite a 'waspy' buzz or a 'someone mowing their lawn down the street' buzz... it was a little off.

While I was mentally investigating this audio mystery my eye picked up some wild flashing in the peripheral field, which seemed to be coming from my once trusted microwave.

So I flicked off the kitchen light, and sure enough, there was a tiny lightning storm pouring out from the bottom part of the microwave door and onto the counter.

I've seen lightning 'inside' the microwave many times, like when I put CDs in there, but seeing it escape the confines of the appliance is a bit unsettling.

This microwave is only four years old, and I find it bizarre that it suddenly decided to release random bursts of energy.
There must be a breach in the door mechanism.

When I finally opened it there were scorch marks and the distinct smell of burning equipment.

This did not affect the taste of my coffee.

No comments: