Wednesday, September 07, 2005

Mitch Hedberg

Contributed by Lezah
Image hosted by Photobucket.com

“I used to do drugs. I still do, but I used to, too.”

Such is the humour of Mitch Hedberg – or, rather, was… Hedberg, described as “comedy’s answer to Kurt Cobain”, was born with a weak heart and died March 30, 2005, reportedly of a heart attack precipitated by heroin use.

Hedberg had a huge cult following, was on Letterman ten times, was a favourite of George Carlin, and killed at Montreal’s Just for Laughs Festival – to the tune of $500,000, which is what Fox Network handed him a cheque for with a sitcom deal in mind.

Hedberg’s was absurdist comedy. Twisted, and, quite often, surprisingly clean (considering his ‘stoner’ persona). Try this one:
‘The thing that’s depressing about tennis is no matter how good I get, I’ll never be as good as a wall. I played a wall once. They’re f***in’ relentless.”

If you’re interested in more, try looking up his cds ‘Strategic Grill Locations’ (1999) or ‘Mitch All Together’ (2003), the DVD ‘Comedy Central Presents: Mitch Hedberg’ (2003), or go to mitchhedberg.net.
Link: http://mitchhedberg.net

No comments: