Thursday, December 28, 2006

Christmas Meme-ories: By Rob Williams

Visit Swank’s Home Site

It is unusual for Rob to actually answer a meme so Swank decided to post it here. As well, we would love to read your answers to the same questions.


Christmas Meme-ories By Rob Williams

I received a meme (I'm still not sure what 'meme' means) actually forced upon me, by Ted, and here are my answers:

Eggnog or hot chocolate?

I prefer Eggnog, but only at Christmas or New Year's. Eggnog any other time is just sacrilegious!

Snow - Love it or hate it?

I love snow, but I grew up in California - Southern California. So until I moved to NYC in 1999, my experience with snow was limited to Snow World at Sea World where they would make a truckload of snow with snow cone machines and let all the kiddies play in it. I remember it was always really dirty and hard, and smelled, and it always melted too soon. I did love it when it snowed in NYC while I was there. So beautiful. But then again, I do get a chill easily. That's why I often must wear a wrap about my throat.

Can you ice skate?

I can roller skate. Backwards. Matter of fact, I can kind of ice skate backwards, too. I kind of swivel my legs and pretend I'm Lynn Holly-Johnson in "Ice Castles" - before she crashes into all the tables and goes blind. Actually, when I was younger I used to re-enact that scene on my rollerskates!!

When do you put your Christmas decorations up?

Well, usually a week or two before Christmas. This year we put them up on the 15th, the day of our holiday party (a fabulous party, by the way). But I think I was in the kitchen rolling dates in bacon, or dipping peanut butter balls in chocolate, so I only really put up one item on the tree - a little mouse made out of a half of a walnut shell. (My mom made it).

Do you remember your favourite present?

I've had a lot of favourite presents over the years (I'm old, remember), but some of the highlights: Stretch Arm Strong, the picture of Judy Garland as Dorothy that my Dad and Step-mom gave me when I was fifteen (and they didn't know then?), the Grease soundtrack, the first edition of John Cheever's Falconer (from Ted) and our wedding album (also from Ted).

I also remember the presents I didn't get. I used to go through the Sears Toy Catalogue and circle or bookmark all of the things I wanted, you know, like Easy-Bake Ovens

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

or the "Growing Up" Skipper doll--the one where if you twist her arm around she grows taller (at the waist).

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Funny, I never got these - maybe Santa lost my list those years?

Does Santa wrap presents or just set them under the tree?

Do bears wipe their butts after they poop in the woods? Of course Santa wraps presents! And so does Rob.

Coloured lights on tree/house, or white?

I guess I should say white only on the tree (because I know Ted likes that), but I really also like coloured lights on the house outside. It just seems more festive.

I do like little accents of christmas lights throughout the house. you know, lights in a jar, lights around the bookcase, etc. and I guess those should be white, too.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Do you hang mistletoe?

What's mistletoe? Is that like Cameltoe?What is your favourite Christmas dish?

The pretty one with the little candy canes painted on the rim. Oh, wait, um my favourite dish is probably a nice glazed ham with those little clove thingies pushed into it. I used to love pushing those little clove thingies into the ham.

Favourite Christmas memory as a child?

One is sitting in front of the Christmas tree in the dark (the only lights were from the tree) in my sweater vest and toughskin pants and sneakers (I was probably eleven) and singing "Have Yourself a Merry Little Christmas" to myself, wishing I were in the movie Meet Me in St. Louis.

When and how did you learn the truth about Santa?

It's a toss-up.  It's either when I heard my mom wrapping presents and cursing at an obnoxious ribbon late on Christmas Eve or when I snooped through my parents' closet and found all of our presents. In September.

What tops your tree?

That's a rather personal question. A girl never tells who tops her tree.

Do you open a gift on Christmas Eve?

It used to be a tradition we did, yes, in my family. I can't remember if Ted lets me do that or not. He's usually pretty strict about things like that.

What kind of cookies does Santa get set out for him?

Santa doesn't need any more cookies - believe me.

What is the most important thing about Christmas to you?

You mean besides getting a Growing Up Skipper Doll? Okay - having family close, and having the person I love more than anything in the world close (Ted, duh). Having my kitties close. Those are the real gifts.

What is your favourite holiday dessert?

Well, it used to be buckeyes (peanut butter balls dipped in chocolate), but I made about a zillion this year and we STILL have them in the fridge and I'm sick of them.

But other than that I love pumpkin pie, those little mexican wedding cookies (powdered sugar covered balls of almond flavoured shortbread).

Favourite tradition?

Wishing for the Growing Up Skipper doll (32 years and counting!!)

What do you prefer - giving or receiving?

Well, I do love finding the most unique, special, thoughtful gift for someone (especially Ted), so I guess I'd have to say giving. Though I also really like a lot getting unique special thoughtful gifts.

What is your favourite Christmas Carol?

What's that one about Figgy Pudding? That’s the one.

Candy canes?

Isn't that the name of that psycho truck-driver killer in Joyride? (Okay, I love Candy Canes).

Visit Rob’s Site

No comments: