Saturday, April 30, 2005

Michelangelo Signorile's book Queer in America: Sex, the Media and the Closets of Power, by The Political Heretic

Political Heretic’s excerpt from Michelangelo Signorile's book, Queer in America: Sex, the Media and the Closets of Power

‘The entire room was fixated on them.’

’Soon, anger swelled up inside me: This man was the embodiment of all that had oppressed me, all the horrors I had suffered as a child. It was because of his bigotry that my family, my church -- everyone around me -- had alienated me, and it was because of his bigotry that I was called "faggot" in school. Because of his bigotry I was treated like garbage. He was responsible for the hell I'd endured. He and his kind were the people who forced me to live in shame, in the closet. I became livid.’ - from Michelangelo Signorile's web site, which he reposted from his book Queer in America: Sex, the Media and the Closets of Power which was published in 1993.

Read the whole thing. The writing is inspiring and cinematic. There he was, standing in the lion's den watching as his people willfully enter the home of the very enemies who forced a living hell on them. And then the witness who knew not how he would respond becomes one of them. Wow. It just makes me want to have been there.
The Political Heretic


No comments: